HOW TOBACCO AFFECTS YOU
- Nicotine, the drug that makes tobacco addictive, goes to your brain very quickly.
- Nicotine makes you feel good when you are smoking, but it can make you anxious, nervous, moody, and depressed after you smoke.
- Using tobacco can cause headaches and dizziness.
- Tobacco stains your teeth and gives you bad breath.
- Tobacco ruins some of your taste buds, so you won’t be able to taste your favorite foods as well.
- Tobacco causes bleeding gums (gum disease) and cancers of the mouth and throat.
- Smoking increases your heart rate and blood pressure and causes heart disease and heart attacks.
- If you try to do activities like exercise or play sports, your heart has to work harder to keep up.
- Smokers have trouble breathing because smoking damages the lungs.
- If you have asthma, you can have more frequent and more serious attacks.
- Smoking causes a lot of coughing with phlegm (mucous).
- Tobacco can cause emphysema (lung disease) and lung cancer.
- Smoking causes dry, yellow skin and wrinkles.
- The smell sticks to your skin.
- Less blood and oxygen flows to your muscles, which causes them to hurt more when you exercise or play sports.